Much like our own heritage, gin’s past is complex, creative, and expansive. Demonstrated internationally in a wide variety of classic cocktails, gin has persisted into the modern area. With Castle & Key’s Restoration Release Gin, we have thoughtfully reimagined a historic product to focus on new and interesting flavors. This competition is a challenge to bartenders and mixologists to achieve the same by reimagining a classic cocktail in a contemporary way.
Hawthorn Beverage Group will narrow down the entries to 10 finalists, who will be announced by June 28th. On July 25th, the creators of the top 10 cocktails will be invited to Castle & Key Distillery for the competition finals. One grand prize winner will receive a trip to the first weekend of Austin City Limits, a $500 Castle & Key gift card, and a custom forged trophy from Maynard Studios.
2019 Judging Panel
- Marianne Eaves – Master Distiller, Castle & Key Distillery
- Molly Wellmann – Acclaimed Mixologist and Bar Owner
- Logan Griffin – Beverage Director, Blackberry Mountain
Competition Day Details
- Bartenders will spend the day with Master Distiller Marianne Eaves and team in an immersive Castle & Key experience followed by the competition finals.
- Bartenders will make sample-size cocktails for 250 guests and will have a 5-minute window to present full-size cocktails to the judging panel.
- Lunch, dinner, and transportation will be provided.
- Every cocktail must predominantly highlight Castle & Key Restoration Release Gin.
- Every cocktail must be inspired by a classic cocktail.
- All tools must be provided by bartender at the competition.
- All bartenders are encouraged to bring an assistant.
- All submissions are due by June 7th, 2019.
- One grand prize winner will receive a trip to the first weekend of Austin City Limits (October 4-7) in Austin, TX. Two festival passes, hotel, and airfare included.
- $500 Castle & Key gift card.
- Custom forged trophy from Maynard Studios.